Log in

No account? Create an account

October 29th, 2010

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
10:56 am
Wednesday night, I went to bed early, and Thursday morning I got up earlier than I had been doing, because I had an early pick-up from Super Shuttle. Unfortunately, I got to Oakland Airport not two hours in advance, but more like 5 1/2!

So, what did I do?

Well, there WAS free WiFi, so that helped in keeping me busy, though it wasn't enough in itself.

I also finished a really brilliant book that I'd gotten out of the library, called People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks, about the history of a Jewish book through the ages, called the Sarajevo Haggadah. The book's structure bounces back and forth through time, on the one hand following the investigator who is restoring the book, and on the other hand describing the lives and times of those who had previously owned it. It's a terrific read!

I also spent a good amount of time reading an SF novel on my Sony PRS-700 reader, which worked fine, and I got through more than a third of the book while waiting. I got the file from one of those discs that Baen Books has been attaching to the back of some of their hardcover novels, especially the ones by David Weber. I'll talk about this book when I finally get done with it.

forestcats had driven home with most of my luggage, thereby freeing me up, as far as that's concerned, which was fine, really. So when we landed at Ontario, I phoned her as the plane taxied in so she could come pick me up. After a while, here comes the truck, with brushette sticking her head way out the side window, excited as all get out to see me. It was very cute.

We went home, brushette on my lap, and once there, I spent some hour or so unpacking. We had a visitation where forestcats passed a wonderful Halloween costume on to a 5-year-old girl, daughter of members of our Havurah. She looked splendid in it, and she and her parents were delighted (as my wife adds to the world's happiness!!!). Then we had a lot of stuff to clear off the DVR...Stormchasers, Caprica, and whatnot.

Finally, we collapsed in bed late.

I slept through the alarm clock, this morning, but that's all right, I have nothing in particular to worry about, today. I then spent some hours this morning clearing matter off my hard drives to make more space. It's amazing how data fills up...

(2 comments | Speak, or forever hold your peace)


[User Picture]
Date:October 31st, 2010 03:08 am (UTC)
Dude, how did you end up being 5.5 hours early for your flight? I know Super Shuttle usually has overly-early pickup times, but that's out of control! Was your flight delayed?
[User Picture]
Date:October 31st, 2010 03:05 pm (UTC)
It was, by about half an hour, but it looks like SuperShuttle thought that my flight was several hours earlier than it actually was.

Oh, well, I just went with the flow...

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco...

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

> Go to Top