Log in

No account? Create an account

September 5th, 2011

Previous Entry Share Flag Next Entry
09:53 am
Our day, yesterday, was odd in that we had several visitors, seemingly spur of the moment. Don't get me wrong, that's not a complaint, in fact we found it delightful, but it was strange...

First, we started the morning breaking up two of the raised planters in the backyard. forestcats wants to rebuild them taller and thinner to make gardening easier. She knocked down one, I another. I'm not sure how many are going to be taken out, or how many will be built, but that's fine.

Mid-morning we were honored by a visit from Sarah and her daughter Zoe; the latter has been my wife's joy in babysitting for some time. Zoe was pretty much in constant motion between her mother and forestcats, and was very cute. She spent a bit of time in the corral with the adults and the equines, and was atop Booboo for a bit. When it was clear that she'd need a nap, they left for home. Sweet...

Not long thereafter, our doorbell rang again, and initially I thought it was Sarah returning for some reason, but instead it was a couple who used to live across the street, but now they live in Alaska. They recognized my spouse's truck, knew we were home, and stopped by while they were scoping out the neighborhood they'd left. We had a very pleasant chat, discussing how things have changed, and learning about their life in Alaska, so that was interesting.

Once they'd gone, we went to our local butcher's shop, the source for buffalo tri-tip that's often part of our various feasts here, and we got sandwiches from them. I've never eaten straight from their store, before, and it was very nice.

forestcats then drove down to Orange County to pick up a couple of baskets that she'd won at a quilt show. Lucky girl.

The evening was devoted to sloth and television; mostly streaming via Netflix...

(7 comments | Speak, or forever hold your peace)


Date:September 5th, 2011 05:24 pm (UTC)
The tri tip that you had reminds me. I had like ten pounds of buffalo top round roast that I just finally finished up, but it tended toward being tough and dry - any suggestions for that?

(Note, half was prepped and consumed for our ren faire up here.)
[User Picture]
Date:September 5th, 2011 08:32 pm (UTC)
There's an issue that folks don't often realize about game meats, and that's that there usually isn't nearly as much fat, so it cooks quicker and doesn't retain as much moisture.

The trick is usually to cook hot and fast.

However, when we get our meat from the butcher's shop, they often sell it marinaded in a Santa Maria rub; we then put it in the crock pot and pour a bottle of red wine in with it. I think the cook time is on the order of 2.5 or 3 hours, but I don't know if forestcats sets it on low or high. It's a winner...

[User Picture]
Date:September 5th, 2011 08:33 pm (UTC)
Oh, and if you DO cook it hot and fast, be sure that it's served rare or medium rare. Anything more done is overdone and will get very tough.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco...

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

> Go to Top